Thursday, April 16, 2015

links | gin + cake + good advice

I've never been inspired to share lists of links like some bloggers do - mainly because I feel so overwhelmed by the amount of information already on the web, the time wasted looking at social media, and the thousands of other people's links I'm inundated with on a daily basis. However, I have this really bad habit of opening 10,000 browser windows at a time and never closing them because "I might want to read this article later" or "I don't want to forget that recipe." Yes, I am a browser hoarder. I'm the person who has so many tabs open you can't even see the tabs. It's bad. I've had the same webpages open for months and months on my phone and iPad. (My computer died a year and a half ago, so I lost all my open browser pages there - maybe because my machine experienced information overload?)

Anyway, I realized that a list of links published to my blog would be a good way organize the thoughts that are clogging up my devices. So I'm writing this as a reminder to myself (and so I can close those 10,000 browser windows!). Maybe someone else will find it interesting (do you like cake and gin?) and maybe not:

The Genius of Wearing the Same Outfit Every Day. As a comfort-seeking, lazy, self-employed creature, I LOVE THIS. If Zuckerburg, Jobs, and Obama subscribe to this wardrobe, maybe it leads to success? It would certainly reduce my stress! Boring outfit/no morning decision making = more time for creativity with my art? I'm in.

33 Way to Be An Insanely Productive Person. Why do they make it sound so simple and obvious? "What's your main thing? Ok, so why are you doing all these other things?" * Duh...but yet, so hard to make it actually happen. I need to print this out and staple it to my forehead. (Thanks to Sarah for sharing this - she always has such good advice.)

How to Take a Day Off. Again...sounds so simple, and yet...there's just so much that needs to be done...

CAAAAAAKE! Specifically, GIANT Coconut Layer Cake. I've literally had this window open for over two years so I didn't forget what sounds like the best cake in the world. (I should've made this recipe before I gave up eggs, and butter, and cream! D'oh!!! I'm still not ready to let this recipe go, though. Will someone make this for me and not tell me what's in it?)

More CAAAAAAKE! Gin and Tonic CAKE?! And another one! (A good G&T has long been my favorite drink - and yes, I am an 80 year old man in a 36 year old woman's body. A G&T in cake form could either be awesome...or disgusting. But I'm willing to try and I have a certain cocktail-making, rum-cake-baking friend who will be my guinea pig. I wonder if I can veganize it?)...

While googling if I could veganize the G&T cake, I found a recipe for Vegan Gin and Tonic COOKIES. Hmm...

I'm really going to sound like a lush with three booze related links, but that same friend made me an amazing Sidecar the other day, and I recently stumbled across this recipe for Blackberry Sidecars. Definitely adding these to my summer menu!

Did I say three booze links? I meant four. Gin Brambles: more gin, more blackberries, more happy summer for me!

Alright, alright, let's just say the theme of this list is cocktails, because I can't stop. Who could resist a drink called a Scarlet Harlot? Actually chow.com has a whole gallery of fruity summer cocktails. I'm thinking I need to have a weekly cocktail party! Or be invited to a cocktail party by someone who's a better bartender than I am...

And I'm done. Cheers!

* P.S. My main thing is gin. #kidding

5 comments:

Jane @ The Borrowed Abode said...

#ginforthewin

Ok, first of all - I'll make you that coconut cake!

Second - G& T Cake? Yes, please!

Third - blackberry sidecar?

I'm pretty sure this post needs to be an archive of good links for me, too. ROck on.

Jennifer said...

OMG, that 33 Ways to be Insanely Productive? LOVE IT. Thanks for sharing!

Jen

Unknown said...

Can the everyday outfit be pjs? Sorry, I mean, "yoga pants."
Because if so, I have that down pat.

Funnelcloud Rachel said...

Veronika - yesssss! We should hang out. In "yoga pants". Too bad you're 13 time zones away...

Funnelcloud Rachel said...

Jane - yes yes and yes!